More information and documentation can be found in our developer tools pages. These markup elements allow the user to see how the document follows the Document Drafting Handbook that agencies use to create their documents. These can be useful for new i9 form for 2017 better understanding how a document is structured but are not part of the published document itself. These tools are designed to help you understand the official document better and aid in comparing the online edition to the print edition.
Employers must ensure that all pages of the Form I-9 instructions and List of Acceptable Documents are available, electronically or in print, to all employees completing Forms I-9. The Form I-9 supplement should be used by employers completing the flat version of the I-9 if your new hire had more than one preparer and/or translator provide assistance. The Form I-9 “Paper Version” is an unfillable form which must be printed for completion. Note that “paper version” is a bit of a misnomer since the smart version mentioned above must also be printed on paper and signed. I think it’s easiest to refer to this as the “flat version” of the I-9, since there are no fillable fields. No changes to retention – which means that employers should retain all Form I-9’s for active employees as well as all Form I-9’s for terminated employees for three years from the date of hire or one year from the date of termination, whichever is later.
About the revisions
The employee must present original documentation evidencing his or her identity and employment authorization, which the employer must review. In the alternative, the employer may draft an explanation and attach it to the outdated completed Form I-9 explaining that the wrong form was filled out correctly and in good faith. While the agency did not specify the reason for this change, it was likely made to ensure consistency with the regulations which indicate that section 1 must be completed “at the time of hire,” without any reference to the time of day. Following this updated guidance, employers may want to revisit their own I-9 policies and procedures to ensure that section 1 is completed no later than when the employee starts work for pay. The employer should complete Section 3 when the employee needs to undergo re-verification due to expired employment documentation or authorization, or if re-hiring has occurred. If the employee’s previous grant of employment authorization has expired, provide the document title, document number, and expiration date.
- These changes are only visible when completing the fillable Form I-9 on a computer.
- The President of the United States issues other types of documents, including but not limited to; memoranda, notices, determinations, letters, messages, and orders.
- Employers must retain Form I-9 for a designated period and make it available for inspection by authorized government officers.
- The employer, of course, is still liable for errors of their designee in Form I-9 completion.
- The new Form I-9 includes a number of changes and new features designed to make the form more user-friendly and to minimize mistakes.
- Today’s date asks for the date the section was completed by the employee.
But that’s not all, the USCIS also took the opportunity to modernize the M-274 by delivering it in a new online format which features a selectable table of contents (enabling you to drill-down in particular chapters and subsections). You can also view the entire M-274 in one page by clicking on the “Print Manual” button. Renumbered all List C documents except the Social Security card into an easier format. Combined https://www.bookstime.com/ the certifications of report of birth issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545, Form DS-1350, and Form FS-240) into selection C #2 in List C. Updated the name of the Office of Special Counsel for Immigration-Related Unfair Employment Practices to Immigrant and Employee Rights Section . Given the lack of any true substantive updates, it appears this name change is the main reason for the form update.
New I-9 Form Takes Effect September 18, 2017
It is used by an employer to verify an employee’s identity and to establish that the worker is eligible to accept employment in the United States. For U.S. citizens, I-9s are valid continuously unless a break of more than a year of employment occurs. International employees on F-1 , H-1B , or J-1 visas must have their I-9 reverified each time their visa has expired with a new work authorization permit (renewed visa with work authorization, EAD, Permanent Residence Card, etc.).
- Any description of a result obtained for a client in the past is not intended to be, and is not, a guarantee or promise the firm can or will achieve a similar outcome.
- The answer to this question will largely depend upon your own organizational structure, priorities, and capabilities.
- Federal law provides for imprisonment or fines for making false statements or using false documents in connection with the completion of the I-9.
- Fraudulent activities should always be reported to your local law enforcement office.
- Relevant information about this document from Regulations.gov provides additional context.
- However, the employers cannot ask anyone to complete Section 1 of the form until acceptance of a job offer.